KDE Platform Profiles

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Apr 26 18:14:28 BST 2010

On April 26, 2010, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> It is a very large job to figure out for all kde apps which parts of
> kdelibs&runtime (executables, kio slaves, kparts, and so on) requires.

big job, but one that we need to do. :)

> I would suggest that it is the application maintainer who specify which
> runtime components it needs. Maybe runtime components needed in 3
> 'levels'.

while i think this would be quite good for packaging and agree with what you
say on that, i don't believe this would help us one bit from the software
development side.

what would end up happening is every app would just define what it wanted to
use in these manifests and we'd end up right we were are now: with everything
being needed and no well defined set of "this will be there, that won't" API /
functionality for a given form factor.

it also won't do a great job of addressing the issue of things like "when
plasma is used on tablet or bigger, accessing widgets via GHNS makes sense and
so that's a valid API to use and rely on as a build-time requirement; on
mobile, it doesn't make any sense (devices tend to have their own app
delivery/update mechanism). i suppose one could expand the manifests to
include different dependency sets for different profiles ... but then we're
back to what we're doing now.

the one thing a manifest can not do at all is define things like "i don't need
KCoolClassThatOnlyMakesSenseOnTheDesktop from kdeui when used on a mobile
device form factor".

so while i like the ideas of the manifests as you outline them (which are also
a lot of work, of course :) they are somewhat orthogonal to getting to the
solutions we need here.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se