KInfoCenter rewrite in Kdereview

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Thu Apr 15 09:11:20 BST 2010

On Tuesday 13 April 2010 09:07:40 pm David Hubner wrote:
> On Monday 12 April 2010 22:28:38 Alex Merry wrote:

The should-be-authoritative source for these questions is
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy, the kde-licensing mailing
list, or me (hopefully in that order, and kde-licensing is a very very low-
traffic list).

The LGPLv3 releases you from a number of requirements of the GPLv3 and
requires you (clause 4d of the LGPLv3) to either provide the minimal
corresponding source or use shared library linking. This means that a BSD-
licensed (remember, *2* or *3* clause license, no advertising clause)
application can use an LGPLv3 library; the resulting binary must be shipped to
comply with clause 4d of the LGPLv3 so it might have to include the minimal
corresponding sources (i.e. the library source) even if the application itself
has been proprietised.

> > > The LGPLv3 code uses BSD code, but i think it always has. I am not sure
> > > if this is OK. If someone from kde licensing could look at this i would
> > > be grateful.

Again, that's OK, but the BSD code is now part of the minimal corresponding
source for the library *and* the obligation to include copyright holders names
now applies to the library. (In the application case above, that requirement
only holds for the app itself).

> > If you have both LGPLv3 code and BSD code in a file, that's fine, but
> > both licenses should be given at the start of the file, as I understand
> > it.  The file as a whole comes under the terms of the LGPLv3.  Put the
> > LGPLv3 header first, then something like "some code in this file is
> > licensed under the BSD license", and follow it with the header required
> > by the BSD license.

That is best practice indeed. Usually it's best to keep one file under one
license (especially in the presence of file-based licenses like the MPL, but
that's a case KDE doesn't need to worry about) for clarity, so if you could
tease them apart in a useful way that would be best. Otherwise what Alex said:
both license headers in standard form. I wonder if Krazy picks up on that?

> > Bear in mind that if the code is LGPLv3 (rather than v2+),

If it is LGPLv3 only then there's an issue between it and the licensing
policy, which wants v2-or-later or v2-or-v3-or-ev-ok license texts.

> > I don't think
> > it can be compiled into the same application as LGPL or GPL v2 code.

You can mix and match LGPLv2 and LGPLv3 code as far as I know, because the
requirements are for the minimal corresponding source of the library -- er, I
should say that this may only work if the parts are compiled separately and
then linked. Maybe that's what Alex says below. LGPLv3 and GPLv2 is a non-
starter (there's a convenient, if dated, compatibility matrix at
http://gplv3.fsf.org/dd3-faq but I haven't quickly found anything newer).

--
Adriaan de Groot, vice president (legal affairs), KDE e.V.
    http://ev.kde.org/