qt-copy (or kde-qt) patches cleanup

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Sep 30 22:56:46 BST 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 11:22:47PM +0200, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le Wednesday 30 September 2009, Albert Astals Cid a écrit :
> > >  * 0289-context-for-shortcuts-tr
> > > http://qt.gitorious.org/+kde-developers/qt/kde-qt/commit/9eb3560cfd5cd0bc
> > >
> > >  Add context to tr calls in QShortcut
> > >
> > > I haven't seen any merge request on that. Albert, please do one.
> >
> > I made a merge request, Ossi rejected it and i closed it
>
> Why has it been rejected?  And in that case why should we keep it in kde-qt?

the problem here is qt's "incompatible" concept of automatic contexts.
qt's translator relies on it and thus does not need additional
disambiguations. but kde's "tr() brigde" discards the context
information and thus screws itself over. i.e., basically this is a hack,
and it sets a precedent for adding more clutter to qt's code to support
kde's non-compliant QTranslator reimplementation.

fwiw, in the longer term i'd like to see qt switch to something which is
closer to ki18n() + KUIT, but so far there have been no takers.

> > > Why the translations doesn't go upstreams?
> >
> > Two reasons:
> >  * We use .po translations, you do not.

this point is nowadays kinda ... pointless. :D

> >  * We accept LGPL translations, you do not.

well, quite frankly, that's *the* roadblock to qt being a truly open
project. not much the poor hacker-trolls can do about it.

> > We can discuss about this if you want, it is obvious *you* would
> > benefit tremendously from the KDE translators,

> > but i'm not sure we can reach an agreement.

i'm fairly sure there won't be an agreement with "the kde translators",
but individual teams might very well agree to sign over their souls ...
errm ... whatever. :D

> > I'm on IRC so if you feel like chatting, just /query me
>
> I know very few about translations, and even less about legal.
> I'll ask our (qt) legal for a possible cooperation on this.

alexandra is supposed to get something going in that direction.
and anyway - you know where to find me. :)