Qalculate plasmoid in kdeplasma-addons

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Sep 30 18:29:29 BST 2009

On September 30, 2009, Matteo Agostinelli wrote:
> Also, I would like to add that this is not meant to be a replacement of the
> existing calculator but an optional "enhanced" calculator, since it
>  requires an additional external dependency (libqalculate). So IMO the
>  current choice of branding (name and icon) could be acceptable. If there

so i finally got it built and found some time to test it. some input:

* it uses QHttp; it must use KIO instead

* the network access in QalculateEngine::updateExchangeRates() is blocking
rather than async

* there's nothing that defines the widget as being a calculator when it's just
sitting there. perhaps when there are no results the qalculate icon could be
painted in the results area? or even the icon and the name? probably don't
want to do anything with the line edit as it should have as much space as
possible

* minor issue: there's a tooltip even when the widget is shown fully on the
desktop that probably isn't overly useful

>  are no objections, I would like to move it to kdeplasma-addons next
>  weekend. I am willing to mantain it in the future.

i'm cool with this; the code looks good and if you are willing / able to
maintain it -> win! :) i look forward to seeing this in plasma-addons for 4.4.
do you have a checkout of kdebase around? if you do, could you put an entry in
workspace/plasma/design/CHANGELOG-4.4 for this? (if not, i can do it for you)

btw, is libqalculate thread safe? if so, would you be interested in hooking up
qalculate to the calculator runner? if qalculate doesn't exist, it could fall
back to the current "evaluate it using qscript" method, but if qalculate does
exist it could get us a much nicer calculator runner.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se