CMake and ksysguardd

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Wed Sep 30 10:25:53 BST 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 10:38 AM, John Tapsell <johnflux at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/9/29 Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles at elpauer.org>:
> ..
>>>  Could anyone that knows CMake help me with this :)
>>
>> It is not difficult to make it compile without KDE. The attached patch
>> fixes and/or ignores the issues I pointed above.
>
> It looks good.  How does this interact now with when people compile kdebase?
> You still want "make install"  for example to install ksysguardd.
> It's not important for "make install" to work if you run that just
> inside the ksysguardd directory, if that helps.
>> We could use an #ifdef or alike to be able to build ksysguardd with
>> KDE (using config-workspace, etc) and without KDE (ignoring it). Would
>> that be interesting for you ?

 That patch was meant for you to take the ksysguardd directory and
build it apart, not to apply it to the KDE svn repository.

Would you be interested in being able to build ksysguardd
independently from kdebase-workspace using the same CMakeLists.txt? In
that case, we'd need to to essentially what the patch does: copy the
macros to a cmake directory (I don't know if this is acceptable by
KDE's policy, CMake stuff is usually kept in a 'cmake' directory at
the top level of the module, i. e. kdebase-workspace) and, instead of
just commenting out the config-workspace.h uses, add an #ifdef.

> I don't know - is it important to use config-workspace?

I don't know, you tell me. The only time I looked at ksysguardd's
code, I has horrified by the custom protocol it uses to communicate
with the GUI :-) (btw, why doesn't it use DBUS?)

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org