Merging KAuth into KDELibs

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Mon Sep 28 14:47:26 BST 2009

On Monday 28 Sep 2009 14:07:52 Dario Freddi wrote:
> On Saturday 26 September 2009 00:17:28 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Vendredi, le 25 septembre 2009, à 23:57, Dario Freddi a écrit:
> > >
> > > If we want to, we must do this fast. I would be changing the namespace
> > > to KAuthorization, the directory name to kdecore/authorization and the
> > > cmake macros accordingly. I need confirmation on that: the earlier the
> > > better. If we want to change the name I want to do that by next week at
> > > the latest
> >
> > +1 for KAuthorization
> >
> > Or even better, create a non-generic name for this, cmp. Sonnet, Phonon,
> >  etc.
> >
> > Something with Direttiva or similar perhaps...
>
> I really like Direttiva as a name. Would that be fine even if it's inside
> kdecore? (eg kdelibs/kdecore/direttiva)

IMO, for small modules, it is much better to use names which reflect the
contents. Using names like Phonon etc. is fine for major modules which
everybody is aware of and which KDE wants to create publicity about, but for
things like KAuth/KAuthorization it just makes things obscure for no obvious
gain. Reading code which refers to a class 'Direttiva' doesn't really give
much clue as to what it's about, unless you already know the name. It's a good
way of raising the barrier for new people getting into KDE coding.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.