inclusion of MathematiK into kde-edu

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 22 23:59:10 BST 2009

On September 22, 2009, Alexander Rieder wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 September 2009 19:11:20 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > >
> > > I've done that, and was referred to this list by annma for the review.
> > > See [1] for the whole discussion.
> > >
> > > Alexander
> > >
> > > [1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-edu&m=125081194907862&w=2
> >
> > great; i didn't want to wade in before the appropriate module team did.
> >  glad to see that the discussion has gone well there. it will be great to
> >  see this application shipping soon :)
> >
> > that said, where it ends up landing is an interesting question: kdeedu or
> > extragear/edu? this depends on the audience scope of Cantor (a great
> > name, imho :) and that of kdeedu itself. if Cantor is not of general
> > use/interest or fit with the scheme of the current kdeedu (which seems
> > aimed towards general education and/or a younger audience) then it may
> > well be better in extragear (as both Kevin Krammer and Hanse Meine have
> > pointed out as well)
>
> Well the naming discussion didn't really and anywhere. There were some
> problems with Cantor, as it means "singer" in some languages (I'm not sure
>  how much trouble this would cause)

i don't think it's a problem. it's nearly impossible to find a name that works
in every language. sometimes it's hard enough to find a name that isn't a
swear word in some language, so be thankful the worst so far is "singer" ;)

> As for the audience, I'm targetting at High-School students and higher.
>  (The project was created to fullfilll my needs as a student of
>  "mathematics in science and technology", and will probably grow with my
>  needs)

i'll obviously leave it up to the kde-edu people, but it sounds like this fits
right in with kalzium et al then.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se