kWarning() broken!

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Sep 21 16:24:54 BST 2009

On Saturday 19 September 2009, Milian Wolff wrote:
> David Faure, 18.09.2009:
> > On Friday 18 September 2009, Carlo wrote:
> > > the problem is QT_NO_DEBUG, in non debug builds DefaultOutput is
> > > defined as NoOutput
> >
> > Indeed. Fixed.
> > kDebug/kWarning/etc. should work even when kdelibs was compiled in debug
> >  mode.
>
> Thanks. But one question: Wasn't that only changed for 4.4? How come it's
> broken in 4.3?

It was broken for a very long time. The commit I mentionned was an attempt
at fixing that, already - but it was doing it a bit wrongly, forgetting that
kdelibs could be in release mode while the app could be in debug mode,
or vice-versa.

Before that commit, the header said
# if defined(QT_NO_DEBUG) || [...]
#  define KDE_NO_DEBUG_OUTPUT
# endif
and therefore apps compiled in release mode had no kDebug
(but ok, kWarning worked).

But the commit I mentionned got backported to 4.3.x branch (in January),
so that's why kWarning stopped working in 4.3.x too (for apps in release
mode). I think. It's getting hard to keep track of all the intermediate states
of this code.

Hmm, good thing you raise this; I need to backport my fix, then.
Oh joy, into a branch where the default area thing works completely
differently.