kdelibs (tests) doesn't build against qt 4.6.0-tp1

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Wed Sep 16 19:10:10 BST 2009

Em Quarta-feira 16. Setembro 2009, às 19.16.07, Matthew Woehlke escreveu:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Em Quarta-feira 16. Setembro 2009, às 18.20.01, Matthew Woehlke escreveu:
> >> Please quit naming the "latest" branch by version, and name it something
> >> like 'kde-latest-recommended', or even 'master', so that a year from now
> >> when KDE trunk moves to 4.7, we don't again have to make everyone change
> >> branches by hand.
> >
> > Thanks, but no thanks.
> >
> > You have to change branches because... it's a different branch.
>
> ...which is a significant step backwards from qt-copy.

Yeah, duh. What did you expect?

qt-copy was the import of a tarball.

kde-qt.git is a full repository, with the full history, following Qt
development.

> Before, when KDE switched to a new Qt version, qt-copy got updated, and
> so long as you're paying attention, you see that it updates and know to
> rebuild.

The problem is that you're switching branches of Qt. You are switching
branches.

Therefore, you should switch branches.

Forcing the update on you will not work. The reason why is because 4.5.2-
patched contains commits that are not and will not be in 4.6. Git supports
updating branches, as long as the new branch tip is a descendant of the
current one.

If it doesn't contain all commits in the current branch tip, it's called
history rewriting. I can't do that. Well, I can, but it'll break for you
later.

> Now, there has to be an official announcement and everyone has to
> manually switch branches. And people that don't follow the lists closely
> are going to have broken builds because they don't know to update.
>
> You'll excuse me if I fail to see how this is an improvement.

I listed above.

I hope you tried "git log" at least once. You know, it prints a lot more than
qt-copy did...

Now, if KDE didn't have patches, we could do what you ask.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2009 | Registration Now Open!
Munich, Germany: Oct 12 - 14     San Francisco, California: Nov 2 - 4
      http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2009