KIO: Mass Copy of Files from Different Sources to Different Destinations

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Wed Sep 16 18:22:41 BST 2009

David,

Yes, now that I understand how the high level jobs work, I completely got your
concern about the potential for a deadlocked condition.

Right now I am working on a solution to eliminate this deadlock condition from
ocurring in the scheduler. There is a way to do this by pairing the requests
from high level jobs so that the scheduler can take that into account when it
is scheduling jobs.

More about that once I refine and test the solution to see whether or not it is
viable and does solve the deadlock problem...

On Wednesday 16 September 2009 11:52:44 David Faure wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 September 2009, Dawit A. wrote:
[snipped]
> >  Can you give an example of how to trigger this
> >  dead lock ? I suppose I can simply start copying files from remote
> >  locations (sftp/ftp) until the max instances limit is reached, no ?
>
> Maybe. I admit I didn't actually try, but it seems logical to me, with the
> above reasoning. To get many filecopyjobs started, I recommend copying a
>  whole directory of files. That gives time to start another directory copy
>  while it's happening. Each file being copied will start a FileCopyJob.

Just for clarification, the dead lock condition can only occur if both ends of
the high level job are remote urls, correct ? That is both the put and get
operation must be remote otherwise they are handled differently and the
scheduling does not come into the equation... Or did I get that wrong ?