sidebar history in konqueror

Michael Zanetti michael_zanetti at gmx.net
Mon Sep 14 12:24:40 BST 2009

On Monday 14 September 2009 13:05:45 David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 29 August 2009, Martin Koller wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > as I could not find anything in the ML archives, can someone please shed
> >  some light onto the current situation and plans regarding the konqueror
> >  history functionality ?
> >
> > - Why was the sidebar history removed (or being declared no longer
> > wanted) ?
> >
> > - What is the status and plan with the new history window ?
>
> This is a topic for kfm-devel rather than kde-core-devel, but anyway.
>
> Isn't it obvious to everyone that a 50-pixels-wide sidebar is not the best
> place for showing history (which typically includes long URLs and long page
> titles)?
>
> Compare the kde3 history sidebar with the firefox (or the new konqueror)
> dialog; isn't it much nicer to actually have room for a GUI rather than
>  trying to squeeze it into a narrow sidebar?
>
> Since you don't see happy about the situation, I have to ask you, what _is_
> the problem with the new history dialog. Just that people can't find it?
>
> Anyway I also see this as "one less module to care about when finally
>  rewriting the sidebar" (if I ever find time for that...). Once that's
>  done, *and* if there are arguments against the above arguments, then
>  maybe...

I for one liked the history in sidebar a lot. Mostly I'm not interested int
the long URL's but rather just want to know the name of the site. So the
argument with the long URL's doesn't count me. Instead I really hate it if
applications have smaller sub-windows floating around behind the main window
and you have to search for them.

However, this might be personal preference and I'm ok also with the history in
its own window.

But, what I really think: If we remove the history from the sidebar, we should
at least remove also the history tab there... It just looks broken the way it
is now.

My 2ct,
Michael