sidebar history in konqueror

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Sep 14 12:05:45 BST 2009

On Saturday 29 August 2009, Martin Koller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as I could not find anything in the ML archives, can someone please shed
>  some light onto the current situation and plans regarding the konqueror
>  history functionality ?
>
> - Why was the sidebar history removed (or being declared no longer wanted)
>  ?
>
> - What is the status and plan with the new history window ?

This is a topic for kfm-devel rather than kde-core-devel, but anyway.

Isn't it obvious to everyone that a 50-pixels-wide sidebar is not the best
place for showing history (which typically includes long URLs and long page
titles)?

Compare the kde3 history sidebar with the firefox (or the new konqueror)
dialog; isn't it much nicer to actually have room for a GUI rather than trying
to squeeze it into a narrow sidebar?

Since you don't see happy about the situation, I have to ask you, what _is_
the problem with the new history dialog. Just that people can't find it?

Anyway I also see this as "one less module to care about when finally rewriting
the sidebar" (if I ever find time for that...). Once that's done, *and* if
there are arguments against the above arguments, then maybe...