KNotificationItem specification - first draft

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 11:44:36 BST 2009

On Monday 07 September 2009, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am probably a bit late at this, but thought I would ask anyway.
>
> Why did you choose the term "KNotificationItem"? I am afraid this is
> going to cause confusion with the existing notification systems.

the choice of the name has been a bit painful, it has gone trough several
renames.
iirc this was chisen because in gnome and windows the systray is already
called notification area and we didn't want to confuse the current
implementation with the protocol, since the last goal is to remove some of the
icons from the system tray, probably representing the items of "application"
category in the taskbar, this would make the "SystemTray" term less meaningful

> A name like KSystemTrayItem would avoid such confusions. I know it is
> probably not very appropriate because it describe a visualization rather
> than the content, but I feel it would still be better than
> KNotificationItem (Think about a new developer faced with choosing
> between the KNotification and KNotificationItem classes...)
>
> Aurelien
>
> PS: To get more feedback about the spec, I suggest you generate an html
> output of it and upload it somewhere.
yeah, good idea, here it is:
http://www.notmart.org/misc/notificationitem

Cheers,