Extending the licensing policy: BSD license for cmake files

Harri Porten porten at froglogic.com
Sun Sep 6 12:32:40 BST 2009

On Sun, 6 Sep 2009, Gary L. Greene, Jr. wrote:

> He's only saying that the use of the parenthesis c in the copyright line is
> pointless since in the original Berne Convention that was not recognized as a
> valid copyright symbol. Only the circle C (which only works if our sources are
> all in UTF8) or the word 'Copyright' followed by a list of years the work was
> completed on and the holder are allowed in the marking to denote copyright
> attribution. Nothing more.

Sure. But I am not yet convinced that the degree of pointlessness is high
enough to warrant a removal. Anything that emphasises the copyright
statement - even if it's not 100% water-proof - helps to convey the
meaning as it's more obvious (as in: harder to claim it was overlooked) to
the reader, no?

Practise among large corporations (I see everyone still using (c)) seems
to confirm that view.

Harri.