Extending the licensing policy: BSD license for cmake files

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at tolharadys.net
Sun Sep 6 10:36:46 BST 2009

On Saturday 05 September 2009 4:26:03 pm Shaun Reich wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Alex Merry<kde at randomguy3.me.uk> wrote:
> > Forwarding to kde-licensing@, which is where this discussion belongs.

> >> I don't know if we have to do something about the CMakeLists.txt, this
> >> was primarily for the FindFoo.cmake files.
> >> This is what we currently have there:
> >>
> >> # Copyright (c) 2006, NAME, <email>
> >> #
> >> # Redistribution and use is allowed according to the terms of the BSD
> >>  license. # For details see the accompanying COPYING-CMAKE-SCRIPTS file.
> >
> > The (c) is pointless.
> >
> > Really, the BSD license should be included wholesale.  It's not that
> > long, and prevents any ambiguity.  See
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy#BSD_License for how it
> > should look.
> >
> > Alex
> >

> > --
> > Why have I got six monitors?  Because I haven't got room for eight.
> >  -- Terry Pratchett
>
> In what ways is the copyright pointless? For this choice of license,
> choice of source files, or globally pointless? Regular source files
> use them, and I do not see why or how that would be pointless.

He's only saying that the use of the parenthesis c in the copyright line is
pointless since in the original Berne Convention that was not recognized as a
valid copyright symbol. Only the circle C (which only works if our sources are
all in UTF8) or the word 'Copyright' followed by a list of years the work was
completed on and the holder are allowed in the marking to denote copyright
attribution. Nothing more.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from: skuld.tolharadys.net