Allow putting .policy files in a different location than /usr/PolicyKit

Dario Freddi drf54321-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 3 09:47:30 BST 2009

Hello lists,

I will make the situation pretty clear in a fast way: at the moment we (as in
developers) at KDE have a small problem regarding PolicyKit, after it has been
deeply integrated in 4.4 (trunk).

It seems like there is no way to tell polkit to look for .policy files in a
different location than $installationprefix/share/PolicyKit/policy. This issue
is actually blocking most of the developers from using polkit features, as we
mostly install trunk stuff in a different prefix than /usr (where polkit is
reasonably installed). Also please note that we know of many different KDE and
GNOME setups where the installation is not in the standard /usr prefix, but
more on a remote share.

I would like to ask David if there's a way for specifying a different include
path in PolicyKit.conf, just like DBus allows that for policy files and
activation services, and if it's not possible at the moment, please really
consider this as a feature for polkit 1.0, it is really easy to include and
you would make a lot of people happier. I can also try and create a patch
myself for this, with some decent guidance.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer
GPG Key Signature: 511A9A3B