PolicyKit + KDE

Gary Greene greeneg at tolharadys.net
Wed Sep 2 00:30:53 BST 2009

On 9/1/09 4:10 PM, "Matthew Woehlke" <mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> John Tapsell wrote:
>>   The problem is "make install" in kdelibs/kdebase  has traditionally
>> only installed files to your $KDEDIR directory.  However with
>> policykit requires files to be installed elsewhere.  For example
>> ksysguard now needs to install to:
>>
>> /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.kde.ksysguard.processlisthelper.conf
>> /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.kde.ksysguard.processlisthelper.service
>> /usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.kde.ksysguard.processlisthelper.policy
>>
>> To do so requires root privillages and modifies the main system - no
>> longer giving us the possibility of playing with one version of kde
>> which having another installed.
>
> ...and interferes with package managers. ++!good¹. I have to agree with
> apaku on this point.
>
> (¹ pronounced "double-plus-ungood" :-) )
>
>> I can't really see any good solution.  At minimum we could modify the
>> build files so that it doesn't fail if you run make install as a
>> normal user, although this means that any app requiring root rights
>> would fail with authorization errors.  Perhaps this is sufficiently
>> good.
>
> Works for me, and is much preferable to not being able to install
> unattended my trunk KDE builds.

I prefer Thiago's approach (which well behaved applications like cyrus-sasl
do) where we install in prefix as the user requested and then warn them at
the end of the install that they've possible breakages and what they need to
do to fix it (i.e.. Do X, Y, Z as root to make it so feature N works.)

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Developer and Project Lead for the AltimatOS open source project