PolicyKit + KDE

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Sep 1 23:40:02 BST 2009

Em Quarta-feira 2. Setembro 2009, às 00.03.47, John Tapsell escreveu:
> Hi all,
>
>   The problem is "make install" in kdelibs/kdebase  has traditionally
> only installed files to your $KDEDIR directory.  However with
> policykit requires files to be installed elsewhere.  For example
> ksysguard now needs to install to:
>
> /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.kde.ksysguard.processlisthelper.conf
> /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.kde.ksysguard.processlisthelper.servi
> ce /usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.kde.ksysguard.processlisthelper.policy
>
> To do so requires root privillages and modifies the main system - no
> longer giving us the possibility of playing with one version of kde
> which having another installed.
>
> I can't really see any good solution.  At minimum we could modify the
> build files so that it doesn't fail if you run make install as a
> normal user, although this means that any app requiring root rights
> would fail with authorization errors.  Perhaps this is sufficiently
> good.
>
> This would also prevent policy kit from working if KDE is on a network
> share - a common setup in universities.  I don't know how much of a
> problem this would be.

I've argued this before in kde-buildsystem:

Do not *ever* install files outside $prefix unless the user specifically selected
such paths in the ./configure script. Even if that means the installation is
not useful -- print a warning after install, if necessary, to indicate that
some further setting up is needed.

I have local fixes to kdesupport and kdebase to fix those "transgressions"
already (QCA installs to Qt's directory; kdebase install's to Python's
directory).
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Qt Developer Days 2009 | Registration Now Open!
Munich, Germany: Oct 12 - 14     San Francisco, California: Nov 2 - 4
      http://qt.nokia.com/qtdevdays2009