PolicyKit + KDE

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Sep 1 23:16:07 BST 2009

On 01.09.09 23:03:47, John Tapsell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   The problem is "make install" in kdelibs/kdebase  has traditionally
> only installed files to your $KDEDIR directory.  However with
> policykit requires files to be installed elsewhere.  For example
> ksysguard now needs to install to:
>
> /etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.kde.ksysguard.processlisthelper.conf
> /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.kde.ksysguard.processlisthelper.service
> /usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.kde.ksysguard.processlisthelper.policy
>
> To do so requires root privillages and modifies the main system - no
> longer giving us the possibility of playing with one version of kde
> which having another installed.

So basically this means nobody except Gentoo people can build from sources
as installing stuff in /usr/ will break packaging systems. IMHO thats not
acceptable at all. PolicyKit _has_ to have a way of letting it load stuff
from other places, if it doesn't its simply broken and we shouldn't use it
at all.

Andreas, waiting some more with the next trunk-update until this mess is
sorted.

--
You are so boring that when I see you my feet go to sleep.