PolicyKit + KDE

John Tapsell johnflux at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 23:03:47 BST 2009

Hi all,

  The problem is "make install" in kdelibs/kdebase  has traditionally
only installed files to your $KDEDIR directory.  However with
policykit requires files to be installed elsewhere.  For example
ksysguard now needs to install to:

/etc/dbus-1/system.d/org.kde.ksysguard.processlisthelper.conf
/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.kde.ksysguard.processlisthelper.service
/usr/share/PolicyKit/policy/org.kde.ksysguard.processlisthelper.policy

To do so requires root privillages and modifies the main system - no
longer giving us the possibility of playing with one version of kde
which having another installed.

I can't really see any good solution.  At minimum we could modify the
build files so that it doesn't fail if you run make install as a
normal user, although this means that any app requiring root rights
would fail with authorization errors.  Perhaps this is sufficiently
good.

This would also prevent policy kit from working if KDE is on a network
share - a common setup in universities.  I don't know how much of a
problem this would be.

JohnFlux