Jpeg thumbnailer & migration (4.3->4.4) process

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Oct 31 21:33:43 GMT 2009

On Thursday 29 October 2009, Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> Dear devs,
>   There's a patch at
>
> http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/1444/
>
> which makes the jpeg thumbnailer honor jpeg rotation infos stored in
> exif metadata. This means that with this patch, portrait and
> landscape jpeg photos will be thumbnailed and previewed accordingly
> (in dolphin, for instance). However, in order to make this work
> properly, we need to "invalidate" jpeg thumbnails which have been
> previously created with the kioslave; the easiest way to accomplish
> this would be to erase all thumbnails (in ~/.thumbnails) created with
> the slave which point to a jpeg file, to force recreation of the
> thumbnail the next time the user browses the appropriate folder. I
> wonder if this is an allowed update migration procedure..
> if so, what would be the right (tm) way to do that?
> if not, what is an alternative acceptable solution?

I suggest to forget about the unrotated thumbnails. It's not as if those
thumbnails were totally broken so that replacing them was really
necessary. The overwhelming majority (95+ %) of my photos is landscape
so the thumbnails are already correct. There's absolutely no reason to
delete all thumbnails just because a tiny fraction is not properly
rotated.

Regards,
Ingo