KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

nf2 nf2.email at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 01:54:45 GMT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Will Stephenson <wstephenson at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 29 October 2009 13:14:46 Kevin Krammer wrote:
>> I agree. Is the problem that this is a too high level place to support a
>> different data source or the way the change is implemented?
>
> While I respect the effort, my problem with it is that it adds an IMO
> unnecessary extra layer of abstraction, adding to the burden of maintainers
> who are already spread thin in this area of kdelibs.

Yes, i'm aware of both problems...

1) The extra layer of abstraction seems to be the only way to make
progress without breaking up KIO as an important technology for KDE.
Therefore i'm just delegating a bunch of protocols. And as KIO can
abstract libsmbclient, libssh or POSIX, it can certainly adopt another
VFS.

2) The impact on maintainability - i guess that's hard to predict. It
might as well have a trade-off, as a lot of work would be "outsourced"
to Gnome developers. And that technologies grow better with the number
of participants, that's a kind of  credo of FOSS...

However the biggest problem is of course, that my proposal is touching
the spirit of the KDE project: The desire for independence and
individuality...

Norbert