KNotificationItem class name is confusing

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Oct 28 22:33:29 GMT 2009

Marco Martin a écrit :
> dunno if i do.. but anyways, to summarize:
> -the thing -does- want to be part of the notification system

As I replied to Aaron, do you consider that a KNotificationItem is an
element inside a KNotification? if it's not then the name is not
appropriate IMO.

> -other names doen't seem -much- better

> -honestly i don't really want to embark in a mission of unbreaking the whole
> trunk after renaming it, unless there is a -really- better name

As the starter of this discussion I would like to offer my help should
you decide to rename the class. I believe it can be done without
breaking trunk. Here is how I would do it:

1. Rename the DBus object
2. Rename knotificationitem.{h,cpp} to newclassname.{h,cpp} and rename
the class in it
3. Create knotificationitem.h with the following content:

   #include <newclassname.h>
   typedef NewClassName KNotificationItem;

At this point, the class is renamed, but trunk should still build.

4. Adjust existing code to use NewClassName.
5. When all code has been adjusted, remove knotificationitem.h

Aurélien