KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

nf2 nf2.email at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 18:01:47 GMT 2009

I'm writing this, because my patch to allow plugging a different model
into KFilePlaces got rejected, and i'm trying to understand why.

As a reminder: This screenshot should explain what i'm trying to
achieve: http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/1951/s/238/

I thought that i was solving a problem, but obviously a lot of people
don't see that as a problem. I thought that moving towards a coherent
file-management experience should be something that everybody wants.
But - and i must say i'm quite astonished - it's not regarded as
important at all.

This misunderstanding must have something to do with 180 degree
different views on two issues:

1) What defines an "OS platform"?

2) The importance of the application base for the success of such a platform.

In my next mail i would like to discuss possible solutions for "the
problem" (which perhaps isn't a problem),... why i think that my
proposal might be the "cheapest" way for making progress here (in
terms of cost/benefit)... why it's important to start with this
"early"... and so on...

Regards
Norbert