New oxygen widget style branch committed [was: "animations" in oxygen style]

Hugo Pereira Da Costa hugo.pereira at free.fr
Wed Oct 28 17:32:28 GMT 2009

Hi,
as suggested by Aaron, I committed a separate branch of the oxygen
widget style at:

svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/branches/work/oxygen-style-animated

which
- is based on the current trunk version of the style (at
svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/KDE/kdebase/runtime/kstyles/oxygen/)
- adds a number of subtle animations to the style, consistently with
what has been discussed on kde-devel ml already, and with Nuno on IRC.

This includes "smooth" glow of buttons, sliders, scrollbars, tabs,
lineEditor, etc.

This is a "minimal" set of animations. There are more fancy animations
we could try to include (I was thinking "follow-mouse hover rect for
MenuBars, ToolBars, Menus; smooth fade-in/fade-out when switching tabs
in a stacked widget, when changing text of a QLabel, when clearing a
QTextEdit/QLineEdit, etc.), but since these are more experimental, and
controversial, I would rather push this minimal set first, in order to
have it in kde4.4 disregarding the more fancy stuff.

I tested the animations quite extensively already over the past couple
of weeks, but would like to have others feedback on:

- how it feels
- how acceptable the  code implementation is.

I put a README in there that details a bit the code implementation.

Also note that I put there a CMakeList.txt file that should allow one to
compile the style "standalone", and tested this against both kde4.3.2
and trunk. (so that in principle you don't need to have a fresh svn KDE
to test the above).

If all goes well, I'd like to have this merged with the "trunk" oxygen
style before kde4.4 soft freeze (November 4th, that is, within a week
from now).

Inputs _highly_ appreciated.

Hugo

PS: Many thanks to Tom Albers (Toma) for helping creating the branch.