RFC: what compatibility guarantees do we give for modules != kdelibs ?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Oct 19 18:33:02 BST 2009

On 19.10.09 19:22:32, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there are more modules than kdelibs which install libraries and headers (and
> cmake files) which can be used by other packages.
> For kdelibs we guarantee binary compatiblity.
> Does this apply to all public libraries and headers inside trunk/KDE/ ?

No. Every module gets to pick the policy they want to follow.

> Motivation: also modules other than kdelibs install cmake-files, sometimes of
> medium quality. Keeping an eye on the ones in kdelibs/cmake/modules/ is
> enough work, and just because a cmake module is used inside a KDE svn module,
> it does not necessarily have to be installed. But once installed, it can
> break builds in future versions. Instead I'm thinking about only installing
> such modules from kdelibs/, maybe kdepimlibs/, and change the other modules
> which install such files to not install them any longer.

And instead you copy those modules across all places that want to find
the respective headers/libraries? I don't see how thats going to help
with maintaining them.

Andreas

--
Your reasoning powers are good, and you are a fairly good planner.