RFC: what compatibility guarantees do we give for modules != kdelibs ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Oct 19 18:22:32 BST 2009

Hi,

there are more modules than kdelibs which install libraries and headers (and
cmake files) which can be used by other packages.
For kdelibs we guarantee binary compatiblity.
Does this apply to all public libraries and headers inside trunk/KDE/ ?

Motivation: also modules other than kdelibs install cmake-files, sometimes of
medium quality. Keeping an eye on the ones in kdelibs/cmake/modules/ is
enough work, and just because a cmake module is used inside a KDE svn module,
it does not necessarily have to be installed. But once installed, it can
break builds in future versions. Instead I'm thinking about only installing
such modules from kdelibs/, maybe kdepimlibs/, and change the other modules
which install such files to not install them any longer.
This would break it once, but after that we're safe.

Alex