Version mismatch when building trunk

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Oct 16 22:24:20 BST 2009

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> So we really want to switch to git at some point in the future ?

Yes. Git isn't broken. Git is, in fact, awesome. What is "broken" is
what we were doing to qt-copy before, in that it basically throws out a
lot of history (even for typical svn usage, never mind how much more
lacking svn is compared to git). However, the way we (ab)used svn in the
past was *extremely* convenient for the rank-and-file developers.

Git doesn't allow the sort of carte-blanche abuse that qt-copy did,
which makes it awkward (as we've seen) for anyone that wants to use
kde-qt without actually developing on Qt. (Well, really, it does, it's
just much more noticeably ugly. Still, if we weren't dumping the
contents of branches onto qt-copy "trunk", we would have had the same
issue with svn.)

I'm thinking that what we need is a new feature in git (if there isn't
one we haven't found yet) to support the workflow we had with qt-copy.
Because as we've seen, what we have now is painful... and it's going to
*be* painful every single time we bump our Qt requirement, unless people
just stop rolling their own Qt. (Which is rather difficult as long as we
sometimes have KDE requiring a not-yet-released Qt.)

> What I have seen here for git looked so much more complicated, and
> additionally it seems I still have to actually _learn_ how to deal
> with all the branches,

For your own work, it is well worth it to learn about branches. Branches
in git are so much infinitely better than svn, that you should be using
them most times you are doing something more than a trivial change, and
ALWAYS if you are working on multiple unrelated changes in the same
module. That was painful in svn; git branches make it a breeze because
there is almost zero overhead.

...But that's local branches. I agree the situation with kde-qt is a bit
out of hand.

--
Matthew
In the GNU/Linux world there are two major text editing programs: the