Version mismatch when building trunk

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Oct 16 18:49:06 BST 2009

On Friday 16 October 2009, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> > > It's capable of updating a branch.
> > >
> > > I chose not to. I chose to create a new one and force you to switch.

> > > Yes, it's already there. The recommended branch is stored in HEAD. Just
> > >  keep resetting to kde-qt/HEAD.
> >
> > [chani at brain kde-qt]$ git remote show origin
> > * remote origin
> >   Fetch URL: git://gitorious.org/+kde-developers/qt/kde-qt.git
> >   Push  URL: git://gitorious.org/+kde-developers/qt/kde-qt.git
> >   HEAD branch: 4.6-stable-patched
> >
> > this is what you're referring to?
>
> Yes.
>
> > so if there *is* a way for people to set up their git repository so that
> > it automagically updates to the latest recommended qt with just a 'git
> > pull' or whatever, can we have instructions for that please? :)
>
> There is a way, provided you never have commits of your own on top.
>
> git fetch origin HEAD
> git reset --hard FETCH_HEAD

So we really want to switch to git at some point in the future ?
I've seen several times now in the last weeks to some git-related question an
answer like "you just need to do "$ git magic spell of the day" and it will
work" that I have slight doubts that it might be just too complicated.
With svn/cvs I just needed co/update/commit/diff, sometimes status/log, very
rarely blame/copy/move. What I have seen here for git looked so much more
complicated, and additionally it seems I still have to actually _learn_ how
to deal with all the branches, trees, roots, etc, while I basically just want
HEAD and the current release branch.

Alex