Version mismatch when building trunk

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 15 19:24:19 BST 2009

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Thursday, 2009-10-15, Tobias Koenig wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 09:33:24AM +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
>>> Somehow whoever changed the requirements for kdelibs forgot to update Qt
>>> in kde-qt (which as I understand it serves the same purpse qt-copy had
>>> prior to Qt's switch to gitorious).
>>> It still seems to be 4.5.2 or maybe I am doing something wrong when
>>> pulling updates?
>> You have to do a
>>   git checkout origin/4.6-stable-patched
>> to switch to the 4.6 branch.
>
> Ah, good to know that there is a work around in case the problem isn't fixed
> until the next time I have a couple of hours available for KDE hacking.

You apparently missed the (very long) thread where it was stated that
there would be no 'latest' branch. IOW everyone building their own qt
will always have to do a manual checkout every time we switch
requirements to a new branch.

This is needed to keep a clean history, but is inconvenient for everyone
that doesn't care about that.

> It is still kind of annoying that updating the Qt branch used for KDE
> development and change of requirements weren't coordinated better.

Well, I'm not sure what wasn't coordinated. It was announced here
(http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.core/60877) more than
two weeks ago that this would be happening.

> I would have expected that kde-qt had been updated *prior* to increasing the
> minimum required version of KDE's build system files.

It was; qt-kde 4.6-stable-patched has been around for some time. You are
being surprised because there is no more 'latest' branch; you (and
everyone else building Qt... not limited to kde-qt, even) must now
manually change branches.

(In case you can't tell from the above, I'm not very happy about this
situation either.)

--
Matthew
If a signature