Bespin

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Mon Oct 5 22:32:07 BST 2009

On Oct 5, 2009, at 4:44 PM, Nuno Pinheiro wrote:

> A Segunda, 5 de Outubro de 2009 21:03:47 Benjamin Meyer você escreveu:

>>> as long as bugs exist, someone will get them.
>>>
>>> the Plasma team faced a style related crash in plasma-overlay with
>>> the QtCurve
>>> style (and forks of that style, of which there are a few). we kept
>>> sending the
>>> reporters to the QtCurve project until the problem was identified
>>> and fixed.
>>> it took several months overlapping two different KDE releases to get
>>> this
>>> sorted out. it sucks that apps get the reports first, but you're
>>> right that
>>> the user won't know any better. so the app devs need to send those
>>> reports on
>>> to the style devs.
>>
>> Every style goes through some bad times.  Arora has similar issues
>> with Oxygen which was in really bad shape in KDE 4.0 & 4.1 to the
>> point that I added explicit code that when oxygen was detected to
>> change to plastique style.  I was just getting way to many bug
>> reports
>> which were bugs in the oxygen style and it made the application look
>> bad in the eyes of the users.
>>
>> -Benjamin Meyer
>>
> did you repost those bugs to the oxygen code maintainers? I find it
> a bit
> weird because oxygen and plastic shared at the time a great deal of
> code,
> --
> Oxygen coordinator

Plastique is the Qt theme, Plastic is the kde one.  It was a pretty
happy ending, speaking with the oxygen devs we got a lot of them
resolved and mostly just had to wait several months for the next kde
release and the fixes to appear.  I think the only major one left is
not oxygen related, but the fact that distros are unlinking kio from
oxygen so the file dialog is no longer the kde one, but the qt one. :\

-Benjamin Meyer