RFC: System Settings categorisation overhaul

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 5 19:17:18 BST 2009

(ooh, the lack of line wrapping horror!)

Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> In practice what I suggest is the following:
> 1) Put the search box somewhere obvious, above the categories, but
> /inside/ the white frame, to make clear it's part of the game and not
> some external "I'm never gonna use it" accessory. Give keyboard focus
> to it, invite the user to try it out.

How do you propose to deal with people that just want to look around and
see what is available? I suppose you still have the list somewhere, how
do you envision that?

I'm not sure how well it would work, but one possibility might be to
present a 'cloud' of top-level categories with search in the middle.
Each click takes you to a new cloud of sub-topics. We should allow there
to be multiple paths by which to reach a particular module.

--
Matthew
Q: Why doesn't Fedora provides ponies? -- Benny Amorsen