RFC: System Settings categorisation overhaul

Ben Cooksley sourtooth at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 10:21:39 BST 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Martin Gräßlin
<ubuntu at martin-graesslin.com> wrote:
> Am Samstag 03 Oktober 2009 08:50:56 schrieb Ben Cooksley:
>> Currently in System Settings the categories structure is not very easy
>> to use, and makes finding settings harder than it should be. In order
>> to correct this, a complete re-structure of the modules is required,
>> removing the General / Advanced sorting and giving modules clear
>> names.
>>
>> Dario Andres ( from bugsquad ) and myself have been working on this
>> and have developed the following plan at this time for the modules
>> [1]. Please see the following mockup to see how this would look [2].
>> This is aimed at KDE 4.4 at this point, and we hope to commit it next
>> week assuming no changes need to be made. We would appreciate
>> everyone's comments on this.
> I do not like the "Desktop effects" on toplevel. "Multiple Desktop" and "Screen
> Edges" do not fit into "Window behaviour". I would prefer a new Module
> "Workspace" which unites some Plasme and KWin config modules, that is:
>  * Multiple Desktops
>  * Desktop Effects
>  * Screen Edges
>  * Screen Saver (IMO that belongs to workspace and not desktop look)
>  * and the new "Workspace" module from Plasma - that needs a better name ;-)
>  * (perhaps also Task Switcher)

Sorry, but that is too big. The objective of the restructuring is to
make everything as top level as possible. A name such as Workspace is
simply too generic. With 6 modules proposed to be in it I can only see
future Plasma modules increasing it to an confusing level ( see
current Appearance for what I mean )

In this case Desktop Look = Workspace Look. Their look and behaviour
are different things.
Window Behaviour really meant KWin behaviour ( I think ). Probably
needs better naming.