RFC: System Settings categorisation overhaul

Ben Cooksley sourtooth at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 07:50:56 BST 2009

Currently in System Settings the categories structure is not very easy
to use, and makes finding settings harder than it should be. In order
to correct this, a complete re-structure of the modules is required,
removing the General / Advanced sorting and giving modules clear
names.

Dario Andres ( from bugsquad ) and myself have been working on this
and have developed the following plan at this time for the modules
[1]. Please see the following mockup to see how this would look [2].
This is aimed at KDE 4.4 at this point, and we hope to commit it next
week assuming no changes need to be made. We would appreciate
everyone's comments on this.

All modules currently provided in KDE SVN will need to be adjusted to
these new categories. For those that are not adjusted, a Legacy
category will be dynamically created by System Settings if a module is
not part of any other categories.

Regards,
Ben Cooksley
System Settings Maintainer

Note: The mockup is only done to show how the categories would look
relative to each other. The current sizing of icons is not going to
change.

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/User:DarioAndres/SS3
[2] http://imagebin.ca/view/Y3KUza.html