qt-copy (or kde-qt) patches cleanup

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Oct 1 14:07:48 BST 2009

On Wednesday 30 of September 2009, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> We however still recommend to use a patched version of Qt, namely kde-qt
> (formely qt-copy)
>
> While I understand the need of this 'fork', I would like to have as few
> patches as possible against Qt.
> The reason is that we (Nokia Qt DF) would like distribution to ship a non-
> patched version of Qt,

 (And I would like a pony.)

> because this is what we support. So KDE must run fine with the normal Qt

 KDE does run fine with normal Qt, doesn't it? For certain definitions
of "fine", at least.

>  * 0180-window-role
> http://qt.gitorious.org/+kde-developers/qt/kde-qt/commit/b48e209187151
>
> The patch make use of the objectName as window role if none has been set
> with the QWidget::windowRole function.
> Lubos argument is that many code ported from Qt3 had a objectName set, and
> so kwin would be able to identify window more often.
>
> This has however been rejected by Trolltech.
>
> I do believe that Lubos has a point.  But it is also time to port
> application to Qt4 and applications should use QWidget::windowRole, really.

 No, actually the real argument is that people sometimes don't even bother
with setObjectName(), let alone setWindowRole() - lxr.kde.org shows 3 cases
of the latter (and all of them probably mine), but I'm not going to count the
setObjectName() ones. When a reasonably simple solution already exists, how
are you going to make people do what you want? Add code to kdelibs to make
the app fall flat on its face when it's missing?

> Also note that this patch is intra-qt binary incompatible, as it change
> QObjectPrivate virtual table layout.

 Who cares? Even Qt itself is intra-qt binary incompatible as soon as one
starts mixing different builds.

> So shall we keep this patch in KDE?

 It is a simple patch and as long as it doesn't break anything and the only
reasons against are weak excuses, I don't see why not.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 084 672
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz