Minimal kdelibs on embedded platforms

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Nov 30 23:06:48 GMT 2009

Em Segunda-feira 30. Novembro 2009, às 23.37.52, David Faure escreveu:
> On Thursday 19 November 2009, Inge Wallin wrote:
> > Right now, the subset of 6 libraries from kdelibs we are using have a
> > footprint of a little over 10 MB.  We were told that this was far too
> > much and  that we had to shrink it down a lot.
>
> libQtCore + libQtGui is bigger than libkdecore+libkdeui, and yet
> kdelibs is under fire but not Qt? I'm confused.

Remember that QtCore and QtGui are going to be used by existing, shipped
applications on the device, not to mention a lot more apps that you'll be able
download onto the phone. They are even going to come pre-installed,
eventually, whereas kdelibs will have to be downloaded and will be used by few
apps.

Second, KDE libraries often need KDE services running and/or installed. That
is, kdebase/runtime, plus kdeinit, klauncher, kded, kglobalaccel, etc.

And once again: that's not a bad thing for an integrated desktop like KDE,
when most of our apps are running in our Workspace. I've said so more in
another thread on the same subject.

> Benjamin wrote:
> > Last I checked (long ago) kdelibs required the qt3compat library.
>
> It's called qt3support ;-) and in kdelibs, only kde3support requires it.
> I'm all in favour of more porting away (of kdebase and other modules)
> from kde3support/qt3support (see bug 201617), but I'm not sure this will be
> enough to solve the problem at hand.

Qt3Support is not available on Maemo 5. Or Symbian or Windows CE or Mac Cocoa.
It's available only in the platforms where Qt 3 was available. If you want to
go beyond those, you have to finish the port.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358