polkit-kde also in kdereview

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 14:17:16 GMT 2009

On Friday 27 November 2009 12:25:00 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Thursday 26 November 2009 14:23:26 Radek Novacek wrote:
> > I've already send an email to this list early this week about moving
> >  polkit- qt-1 to the kdereview. I also moved the Authentication agent to
> >  the kdereview. It was called PolicyKit-kde, but we decide to rename it
> > to polkit-kde to be more consistent with upstream polkit and polkit-gnome
> > naming.
>
> I'm a bit in the dark where this fits in? Is it required for KAuth? Is it
> supplementary, orthogonal?

Supplementary. To put it short, policykit (as in polkit < 1) and polkit-1 are
2 completely different frameworks, with two different APIs. PolicyKit-0.9 is
being deprecated by now, with more and more applications using polkit-1. This
required some new tools (as in polkit-kde) and a new support library (polkit-
qt-1).

The KAuth backend lets KAuth use polkit-1 as a backend instead of PolicyKit.

Which boils down to: sit down, grab a beer, and have a laugh watching the rest
of the world porting the hell out to polkit-1 while you can just recompile
kdelibs with -DKAUTH_BACKEND=PolkitQt-1 and have the very same result.

Hope this clarifies :)

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer