Webslice applet moved to kdereview

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Nov 13 00:51:53 GMT 2009

Hey,

I've just moved the webslice plasmoid to kdereview, for inclusion in KDE 4.4.

The webslice applet is there to put an interactive part of a webpage onto Plasma as
an applet.

You can specify an element with a CSS selector (a.k.a. the nice way) or by its
geometry (the way that works for semantically-not-so-nice webpages, but can easily
break). This can be handy if you want to monitor only the news box on a webpage, for
example.

The webslice widget uses Qt WebKit for rendering the element and is fully
interactive. I'm planning to make use of the KDE integration soon that has just
entered kdelibs, so we also share cookies and login information.

There are two widgets coming along with this. First, a SliceGraphicsWidget which is
used inside the plasmoid, and a QWidget, which basically wraps the
SliceGraphicsWidget. Those are possible candidates for inclusion into kdelibs, if
other developers want to use this as well. If you use the qmake-based build, you get
a small binary you can play around with.

The webslice plasmoid has been written by Richard Moore and me with the help of some
of the qtwebkit guys and is another early part of Silk we'd like to see merged.

Please let me know if there's anything wrong with it, or where you see room for
improvement and I'll address it.

Thanks,
--
sebas