Bugreporting barrier is too low with the new Dr. Konqi

Tom Albers toma at kde.org
Thu Nov 12 09:05:35 GMT 2009

Op Tuesday 10 November 2009 11:03 schreef u:
> ps - I know that JIRA being closed source will be a deal breaker for
> some of you, and frankly, that's alright. It is however free as in
> beer for foss projects, as we encourage and contribute to many open
> source developments.

Hi,

Since Mark asked for feedback, here is mine. It's clear that bugzilla does not satisfy us completely, and I think it is healthy to look around for alternatives, evaluate them, and if it matches all our expectations, we can consider a switch.

There are some elements in JIRA that I very much like and would welcome within KDE, but I do consider it being closed source as a show stopper. Not particulary the free as in free beer - I think a good bugtracker/development tool is worth some money, but more the fact that we would not be able to modify its source code. It would be nice and helpful if we would be able to change it, modify language files if it has those or have the ability to add a reporting wizard - as we have currently.

With that in mind JIRA is probably somewhat lower on a shortlist to test, though not removed from that list.

Best,

Toma
ps. your mail so deep in a thread is a unfortunate, because many will not get that far - though it is a clear and informational mail.