Bugreporting barrier is too low with the new Dr. Konqi

Jaime Torres jtamate at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 19:19:41 GMT 2009

On Martes 10 Noviembre 2009 12:17:47 Myriam Schweingruber escribió:
> Hi Matt,
>
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 05:07, Matt Rogers <mattr at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 03 November 2009 04:25:27 Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>
> Matt, I am more expressing personal impressions I gather from my bug
> triaging work and I fall short of proposing real solutions.

I guess we'll have to wait for DrKonqi2 improvements done by Andrés.

> All I can
> state here is that Bugzilla is not exactly what I consider an easy to
> use tool, it feels clumsy, the query usability is very nerdy but not
> really good, since you end up with holding Ctrl buttons all the time
> to select stuff, the number of legal keywords is too small and only
> admins can change those, the discoverability of advance searches is
> non-existent (I might not be a developer, but I use computers since
> 30+ years and still struggle to find stuff in Bugzilla). And it is
> slow, some periods of the day you really need patience, it slows down
> the workflow, and we too often are faced with messages like 'too many
> open accounts, try again later'. That's what I think is a scalability
> problem and, with KDE growing bigger and bigger, this is a serious
> issue.
>
> I use Bugzilla all day long, as you can see in the stats, and I dream
> of being able to do queries more easily. Currently, triaging is a per
> bug work which takes a tremendous amount of time that could be spent
> more efficiently elsewhere.

> Seriously, I more often use the search
> function in my Google mail for keywords and find stuff faster in the
> bug reports I am subscribed to than querying Bugzilla.

I agree, me too.

> Making personal
> lists of key bugs for duplicates is still something I haven't found to
> be easy. And even if one has a list, you have to keep that list open
> to see the titles (where I put crash information to be able to find
> those again), so I always end up with 10+ browser tabs. Maybe I am
> doing it all wrong and there is an easier way to do that stuff, but I
> still haven't found it...

This also happens to me, I ended up (I'm a bit lazy lately) with 10+ browser
tabs in konqueror, firefox and opera.

KBugBuster is still not ready for the task (at least the version in trunk
kdesdk).

Linux developers still use Bugzilla ?
We'll have to wait for Linus not being confortable with bugzilla and create a
new and shiny problem manager.

> Regards, Myriam.

Regards.
Jaime.