Qt KDE integration in kdereview.

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Nov 3 20:56:36 GMT 2009

On Tuesday, 2009-11-03, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have just submitted a new plugin in kdereview:  qguiplatformplugin_kde
>
> The objective of this plugin is to allow pure Qt Application (not KDE ones)
>  to get better integration into KDE.
>

> Qt tries already to make KDE (and GNOME) as much as it can. For instance,
>  we try to guess the KDE style and the
> KDE palette from the KDE config files.   This however not 100% reliable:
>  For instance, we do not know the location of KDEHOME (when $KDEHOME is not
>  set). Is it ~/.kde or ~/.kde4 or other? We use QSettings to parse the KDE
>  config file (which does not understand every KDE tricks)

KDEHOME is easy: $HOME/.kde is not set
http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/Environment_Variables#KDEHOME

> To get the Gtk+ integration Qt dynamically link against Gtk+ itself.  It
> cannot do that with KDE because kdelbis are in C++ (name mangling)
> and they depends on Qt (circular dependence)

Couldn't we provide an external "C" function in kdelibs which returns an
object of whatever class you use for getting the platform stuff.

> The plugin should go either in kdeextragear, or kdebase/runtime whatever is
> the most appropriate.
> (kdebase/runtime would ease the release,  but it is more related to the
> version of Qt than the version of KDE)

workspace would have been my guess

> I am also open to any suggestions of others things the plugin should
>  provide (for Qt 4.7)

A QNetworkAccessManager using KIO?
KDE Cookie and Proxy Handling?

Cheers,