Bugreporting barrier is too low with the new Dr. Konqi

Darío Andrés andresbajotierra at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 14:58:29 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:17 PM, John Tapsell <johnflux at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure which of these are actually possible with bugzilla.
>
> Which brings us to the next point: Bugzilla is just not very good, to
> say the least. Some of us would love to migrate to a different system,
> and in fact we have tentatively started evaluating other options.
>
> Nokia is now using the JIRA [1] bug tracking system for Qt. I'm
> personally very interested in that, as I know first hand that
> Atlassian makes excellent software. However, JIRA is only
> free-as-in-beer, and I can see how that would make certain people go
> mental.
>
> Another option could be the Redmine [2] system, which we're also
> taking a closer look at. Redmine is entirely Free Software, so it's
> only a matter of judging its technical adequacy.
>

> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIRA_(software)
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redmine

This is a bit out of my scope, but if we are going to choose a new bug
tracking system, it could be useful to me and DrKonqi if that tracker
had a XMLRPC interface (or another easily implementable communication
system). We are currently relying on parsing bugzilla HTML (which is
indeed a nasty thing to do) because current bugzilla XMLRPC interface
is incomplete and it is experimental (it changes within releases).

Another thing about such a change is that you will need to maintain
the bugzilla version running until the last KDE version including a
bugzilla-enabled DrKonqi is obsoleted. (ex. if we migrate to another
bugtracking system and I include the integration with it in KDE4.6;
you won't be able to remove bugzilla until KDE4.6 becomes the stable
branch, and KDE4.5 and KDE4.4 become "deprecated")

> --
> Mark Kretschmann
> Amarok Developer
> www.kde.org - amarok.kde.org