KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

Will Stephenson wstephenson at kde.org
Mon Nov 2 13:48:05 GMT 2009

On Sunday 01 November 2009 11:58:47 David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 31 October 2009, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> > In platforms where FUSE is not available, just fallback to plain KIO.
>
> And how will you sort out the bugs, when someone says something
> doesn't work, and we have no clue if that's on top of the KIO stack
> or on top of the FUSE stack? Am I the only one who sees a problem
> with "multiple backends" approaches? N times the maintainance,
> N times the headache. And all this for providing a bad (because blocking)
> solution to non-kde apps !?

No, you're not.  Although I have a miniscule involvement in KIO myself, I do
have a large stake in ensuring the KDE platform remains robust.  And I read a
lot of mails in this thread from people who have less stake in KIO than me who
are jumping on a more complex do-everything system like it's the new shiny,
and wonder where they will be when the time comes to maintain this chimaera.

I still say 'nice idea but not worth it in practice' and am happy to kick this
out to KDE 5.

Will