KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

Martin Sandsmark sandsmark at samfundet.no
Mon Nov 2 00:36:33 GMT 2009

 Søndag 1. november 2009 21.13.11 skrev nf2 :
> Read my "solution" number 2 above.
>> [...] aligning the behavior of protocol-handlers in KIO and
>> GVFS [...]

Well, what's missing? It shouldn't be so hard, the format of the URLs are
well-defined by RFC 1738, and all the protocols I can think of have
standardized names (maybe in RFCs too? I'm too lazy to check, but this is
really a minor issue to fix...).

As for non-KDE applications, you could either have a tiny FUSE-frontend, or
maybe just get for example Dolphin to automatically mount stuff when launching
an application that doesn't handle URLs in a particular dir (with FUSE using
kio_fuse, for example). This should be in the users experience pretty much
exactly as GVFS currently does things, wouldn't it?

Or I could go on with my plan to port coreutils and bash to kdelibs/kio. :-D

--
Martin T. Sandsmark