KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

nf2 nf2.email at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 23:12:10 GMT 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Stefan Majewsky <majewsky at gmx.net> wrote:
> Am Sonntag 01 November 2009 21:13:11 schrieb nf2:
>> Of course that means you don't get the benefits of GVFS on KDE (like
>> things appearing as mounts, connection pooling,...), but at least both
>> VFS APIs would be running on the same implementation in a desktop
>> session. That's the most important thing. :-)
>
> I don't see why the mounts are a benefit of GVFS. From what I've seen on Gnome
> (which I used only for some minutes), one can only access an FTP server after
> having mounted it, which is quite cumbersome. KIO does just connect to any FTP
> server on the fly.

That log-in on demand behavior also works on Gnome (when you click on
a bookmark, or enter an URL for instance). And the kio-giobridge
implements this as well, of course. Personally i must say i love those
network drives. You don't necessarily have to store the password or
create a bookmark, and when you are done with you work, you just hit
the unmount button, and it's gone. It feels more like working with an
USB-key. And navigating around is a lot easier as those mounts appear
where the other drives are. But that's a matter of taste i guess.

If KDE doesn't want that mounts, the "reverse" GIO->KIO bridge should
solve that problem.

> And in your patches, you're mapping GVFS mounts to the
> KFilePlacesModel, which is IMO more like a bookmarking system than a mounting
> system.

Well, but drives appear there as well. And i also tried to align all
the other items.

> KFilePlacesModel in fact looks more versatile to me than the GVFS
> mounts.

If you - for instance - use a KDE application on Gnome it doesn't help
how versatile this model is. It just sucks that it's different, there
are things missing, the naming of the items is different, the icons,
the ordering and so on... when you click on "Network", something
completely different appears. If you want to work with this system,
this kind of individualism is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

The same thing is true the other way round - for Gtk+ apps on KDE, of course...

So - yes i do like the KDE file-dialog - it has a cool L&F and I even
think it's ok for KDE apps boasting with this thing on Gnome. But
assimilating the model inside would help a lot...

Norbert