KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Sun Nov 1 21:02:37 GMT 2009

Am Sonntag 01 November 2009 21:13:11 schrieb nf2:
> Of course that means you don't get the benefits of GVFS on KDE (like
> things appearing as mounts, connection pooling,...), but at least both
> VFS APIs would be running on the same implementation in a desktop
> session. That's the most important thing. :-)

I don't see why the mounts are a benefit of GVFS. From what I've seen on Gnome
(which I used only for some minutes), one can only access an FTP server after
having mounted it, which is quite cumbersome. KIO does just connect to any FTP
server on the fly. And in your patches, you're mapping GVFS mounts to the
KFilePlacesModel, which is IMO more like a bookmarking system than a mounting
system. KFilePlacesModel in fact looks more versatile to me than the GVFS
mounts.

Regarding GVFS mounts, I could be talking bullshit here because I don't know
better. If this is true, please tell me. This is just my first impression from
Gnome (on Ubuntu Jaunty).

Greetings
Stefan