KDE is not an OS platform... (And neither is Gnome)

Pierre pinaraf at pinaraf.info
Sun Nov 1 19:23:37 GMT 2009

On Sunday 01 November 2009 20:12:34 nf2 wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Dario Freddi <drf54321 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sunday 01 November 2009 17:50:56 nf2 wrote:
> >> 1) Putting a different label on an already existing system, like I
> >> would suggest: "This ist the standard system for the major
> >> file-management protocols, thanks, problem solved". Technically easy,
> >> but won't work because there are understandably different opinions on
> >> which one to pick.
> >
> > Renaming is technically easy. What about porting? What about kio_http and
> > protocols not supported by GIO?
>
> HTTP is an important protocol, but not so much for basic
> file-management. You will hardly run across it in Dolphin or in
> file-choosers. And where it is, it's probably just downloading a file
> via HTTP GET, which is provided by both systems already. The extra
> features kio_http provides, are tailored for certain KDE apps using
> them. So there is no reason to change the status-quo here (But it's
> relationship with webdav might be a challenge).
Ok, let's suppose I browse a website requiring authentication using Konqueror
(through kio_http). I click on a link that opens with another application. This
application uses the GVFS http handler. That link won't work since cookies won't
be kept, nor will Http:basic authentication "tokens"...
Having a common dbus api for both gvfs and kio seems much better from that point
of view since the application would then "automatically" use KIO, wouldn't it ?