KConfigIniBackend::stringToPrintable optimization patch

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Fri May 29 23:55:20 BST 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009 09:41:38 Mirko Boehm wrote:
> > please use
> >   char *variable = ...
>
> It is a character pointer, that is the type of the variable. It is not
> a character that happens to be pointing to something. So it should be
> char* var, not char *var. The latter structure requires you to read
> the whole statement, only to figure out that the first thing you
> understood (char) was wrong.

While that is what sanity would dictate, it is not how the language is
defined.  In C and C++, the * is attached to the variable name, not the type.
Using
char* variable;
instead of
char *variable;
suggests that
char* a, b;
will give you two pointers, rather than one pointer and one char.

So, yes, chalk it down to a quirk of C, inherited by C++.

Alex

--
Why have I got six monitors?  Because I haven't got room for eight.
  -- Terry Pratchett