KConfigIniBackend::stringToPrintable optimization patch

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri May 29 13:02:17 BST 2009

On Friday 29 of May 2009, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I feel like starting a flame war :-)
>
> On May 28, 2009, at 13:02 , Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 09:50:57AM +0700, Vyacheslav Tokarev wrote:
> >> 	Please review it, and if it's ok can I commit?
> >>
> >> +    char* data = result.data();
> >> +    char* start = data;
> >
> > please use
> >   char *variable = ...
>
> It is a character pointer, that is the type of the variable. It is not
> a character that happens to be pointing to something. So it should be
> char* var, not char *var. The latter structure requires you to read
> the whole statement, only to figure out that the first thing you
> understood (char) was wrong.

 Sorry, you lose, this is mandated by the kdelibs coding style and that
apparently voids all discussion. Who cares it's not C++ style, makes the code
worse readable and the only logical argument for it is disallowed by another
rule from the style.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 084 672
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz