KConfigIniBackend::stringToPrintable optimization patch

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri May 29 10:33:15 BST 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:41:38AM +0200, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> I feel like starting a flame war :-)

ha!

> On May 28, 2009, at 13:02 , Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 09:50:57AM +0700, Vyacheslav Tokarev wrote:
>>> +    char* data = result.data();
>>>
>> please use
>>   char *variable = ...
>
> It is a character pointer, that is the type of the variable. It is not a
> character that happens to be pointing to something. So it should be
> char* var, not char *var. The latter structure requires you to read the
> whole statement, only to figure out that the first thing you understood
> (char) was wrong.
>
> I have no interest in the discussion, but I wanted to point out that the
> preference to type *var; is completely incomprehensible to me. Imagine
> there would be more stars. Uuuh.

well, some people just have understanding that hard-wired. :)

anyway, that whole argumentation makes no sense unless you completely forbid
  char *foo, bar, **baz;
style declarations. while i agree that using this c[++] feature is not
so nice in declarations of class members and global objects (both of
which should have expressive names), i'll readily laugh in the face of
anyone who tells me not to use "char c, *cp;" or the like in a function
with 10 lines.